Founder & History

Founder & History

Established before India’s Independence, Cambridge School was founded in 1931 by a passionate teacher and educationist. His vision was to raise Indian children as good citizens, instilling in them the values of service and independence. Today, the school remains dedicated to nurturing every child’s potential, fostering growth, and promoting a strong moral purpose.

Founder & History

Established before India’s Independence, Cambridge School was founded in 1931 by a passionate teacher and educationist. His vision was to raise Indian children as good citizens, instilling in them the values of service and independence. Today, the school remains dedicated to nurturing every child’s potential, fostering growth, and promoting a strong moral purpose.

Our Founder

Alok Chandra Deb was born in 1898 in Dehradun. He took a Master’s degree in Literature from Calcutta University and worked as a teacher with Col. Brown’s School and the Gurkha Military Academy. His nationalist beliefs, fired by his readings in English, Urdu and Bengali literature, led him to an educational programme in which practical learning would complement the development of the mind and intellect through critical understanding. His convictions, along with those of other pioneers, led to the beginning of a new era in Indian education. Indians would henceforth be confident and independent-minded; and no longer the unquestioning followers of European models and methods. Cambridge School was founded by him on April 07, 1931, in a small flat in Qutub Road, Delhi and it moved soon after to Daryaganj. By the 1940s it had already established itself as one of the foremost schools in the city. Cambridge School Delhi- thus named because it was one of the first schools to send students for the Senior Cambridge Examination – acquired its campus in Srinivaspuri in 1961. The foundation stone of the building was laid by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice President and later President of India; and it was inaugurated by Smt. Indira Gandhi in 1963. Among those who visited the School, were Presidents Zakir Hussain, N. Sanjeeva Reddy, Zail Singh and Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed and Prime Ministers Nehru, Indira Gandhi and I. K. Gujral.

Our Founder

Alok Chandra Deb was born in 1898 in Dehradun. He took a Master’s degree in Literature from Calcutta University and worked as a teacher with Col. Brown’s School and the Gurkha Military Academy. His nationalist beliefs, fired by his readings in English, Urdu and Bengali literature, led him to an educational programme in which practical learning would complement the development of the mind and intellect through critical understanding. His convictions, along with those of other pioneers, led to the beginning of a new era in Indian education. Indians would henceforth be confident and independent-minded; and no longer the unquestioning followers of European models and methods. Cambridge School was founded by him on April 07, 1931, in a small flat in Qutub Road, Delhi and it moved soon after to Daryaganj. By the 1940s it had already established itself as one of the foremost schools in the city. Cambridge School Delhi- thus named because it was one of the first schools to send students for the Senior Cambridge Examination – acquired its campus in Srinivaspuri in 1961. The foundation stone of the building was laid by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice President and later President of India; and it was inaugurated by Smt. Indira Gandhi in 1963. Among those who visited the School, were Presidents Zakir Hussain, N. Sanjeeva Reddy, Zail Singh and Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed and Prime Ministers Nehru, Indira Gandhi and I. K. Gujral.

How it began?

Shri A. C. Deb was the Principal of the school till 1964 and continued to work for the institution till well into his eighties. The School’s motto – We Learn to Serve – reflects his deep conviction that a true education promotes service to society. That aim requires the development of character, curiosity, competence and self-awareness – the main objectives of an enlightened school. Along with traditional subjects such as Science, History or Literature, physical activities like gardening, poultry farming and carpentry were also part of the school curriculum. 

 

Mr. Deb’s wife, Roma Deb, contributed significantly to the growth of the institution. In the early years, she looked after the needs of boarders and took them under her roof when they were unable to go home for the vacation. Herself a well-known singer, and she was also one of the founder members and office bearers of the Delhi Children’s Theatre which has promoted creative drama in schools and trained thousands of children since its inception in 1954. Generations of students and teachers remember Alok Chandra and Roma Deb with reverence. The Cambridge School, with four other branches in Delhi and the NCR today, is the result of their beliefs and lifelong endeavours.

Our History

‘A School must seek to provide a sense of stability, encouragement and hope for boys and girls of widely different abilities and socio-cultural backgrounds, helping students to develop their talents by providing meaningful education in an atmosphere of freedom, secularism and social unity’. With this vision Mr. Alok Chandra Deb, the founder of Cambridge School started his dream school in a two roomed flat on Qutub Road, Delhi, in 1931.

With the determination, persistence, vigour and intellect of Mr. Deb, Cambridge School paved the path of its success. The first milestone was laid in 1933 when the school shifted to Daryaganj where it attained the stature of a high ranking co-educational English medium School, preparing students for the Senior Cambridge Examination. The School excelled in academics, art, music, dance and physical education. The School’s PT Squad was adjudged as the best in Delhi for a number of years and in scouting, two of its students were selected to participate in the World Jamboree at Niagara Falls in 1956. Later the school shifted to its present premises in Srinivaspuri. The foundation stone of Cambridge School Srinivaspuri was laid by the former President of India, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan in 1961 and the former Prime Minister of India, Smt. Indira Gandhi inaugurated the building. With all the facilities of teaching Science, Commerce, Humanities, music, sports and a large number of extra-curricular activities, Cambridge School gained the recognition of being one of the leading schools of Delhi. As the Principal of the school for 35 years, Shri A. C. Deb toiled hard to ensure quality education and character formation to make students responsible citizens. Mrs. Roma Deb, his wife, was a guiding force behind Mr. Deb. He was a great visionary. He introduced the concept of unit tests and activity based learning in the early fifties.

The founder laid great stress on learning rather than teaching. Therefore he started a society, known as ‘Society for the Advancement of Learning’, got it registered in 1961 and handed over the school to the society. This society was renamed as the ‘Society for the Advancement of Education’ and it is the present apex body of the school management.
His legacy has passed on to his daughter Dr. (Mrs.) Kalyani Roy, also the former alumnus of school. Under the able guidance of Dr. Roy, Cambridge School, Srinivaspuri achieved new pinnacles of success. Dr. Roy, a true educationist, likes to keep herself updated with the developments and innovations in the field of education. Under her leadership, the society established an ‘Educational Research Centre’ where workshops and seminars are regularly conducted to keep the teachers abreast of the developments in the field of education. Dr. Roy, who shows keen interest in the upliftment of the underprivileged children, started a Community Service Programme known as ‘Alok’.
Cambridge School family now has four Senior Secondary Schools affiliated to CBSE in Delhi and NCR, a primary school in New Friends Colony and a residential school in Dehradun which is known as Raja Ram Mohan Roy Academy. The school has grown in size and reputation for quality education and technology growth.

Our Principals

Shri A.C. Deb
Dr. B. K. Nair
Mr. M.S. Sinha
Mr. K. N. Dar
Mr. P.Ghosh
Ms. Rita Talwar
Mrs. D. Kalsi
Mrs. P. Narayan
Mrs. Aparna Seebaluck
Mrs. S.Dhyani -Acting Principal
Ms. Madhavi Goswami
×